Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Becoming a Flight Attendant

Since embarking on this new journey, I've had several people ask me about my career as a flight attendant!  I figured I would share my story on how I even stumbled upon this gem of a life I'm now living.  I'm currently 26 and I feel like I've had quite a few "life experiences" already.  I worked in real estate for 5 years starting when I was only 19 years old, I have my degree in business marketing, I've been on a reality TV show,  I've been featured in national marketing campaigns, was Miss New Mexico World 2015, and I was Miss New Mexico USA 2017.  With all of that under my belt, it may come as a surprise when I say that becoming a flight attendant was BY FAR my most difficult endeavor.

I really can't pinpoint one specific thing that made me want to be a flight attendant.  Being a flight attendant was always something that was in the back of my mind growing up.  I traveled a lot with sports in high school and college, so I think just doing a decent amount of traveling really opened my eyes to making a career out of it.   In college specifically, when I was studying marketing, I really admired the company I now work for.  I knew for several years that one way or another I was going to work for this company.  What I didn't know however, was just how difficult it was going to be to land a job.




All in all, it took me two and a half years to a become flight attendant.  I repeat, TWO AND A HALF YEARS.  That is a heck of a lot of waiting!  I applied for the flight attendant position when they had an opening  in 2016.  I was so excited but then after months, and months, and months of not hearing a single word back, I figured I didn't get the job.  About 10 months after  I had applied, I moved to San Diego and got a job with a local TV station doing advertising and marketing.  I was just starting to get settled into a life out here when all of a sudden I got a voicemail saying, "Hello this is Bill and I was wondering if you were still interested in the flight attendant position you applied for?"  I thought it was a prank call!  For some reason, I ended up calling Bill back and sure enough, it was legit!  I said yes like I just received some elaborate marriage proposal!   I remember running around my apartment screaming with excitement!




After that phone call, I had to fill out some paperwork and wait a couple months for an over the phone interview.  I was so nervous for my first interview!  The first interview was pretty extensive.  It wasn't a breeze in the park by any means.  I had no idea if they liked me or not afterwards which usually isn't a good sign.  However a few weeks after that, I received a phone call saying that I was moving forward and to be on the look out for further instructions for the face to face interview.  Once again, I was left waiting.  I didn't hear anything for so long, I started to wonder if they forgot about me.  Finally, they called back and gave me a few days notice for a face to face interview in Dallas, Texas.

My interview in Dallas was a blast.  I'll never forget the feeling of walking into headquarters for the first time.  I felt like I had made it!  For some reason, I wasn't as nervous for the face to face interview.   I knew I had what it took to be a great flight attendant, and I knew how passionate I was about the brand.  I knew all I needed to do was be genuine.  I also truly believe that everything happens for a reason, so I was at peace knowing it would work out how it was suppose to.  They asked some pretty hard hitting questions, but I had prepared as much as possible and left feeling great! However... I didn't back hear right away, once again!

During the week of my 26th birthday, I received one of the best gifts!  I FINALLY got the word that I was HIRED for a dream job, with my dream company!!! It was contingent on me passing flight attendant training, but none the less, I got the job!

I like to think that this experience was a learning lesson for me.  Good things take TIME.  There is beauty in staying patient and staying hopeful.  I can't tell you how many times I could've lost hope, and honestly there were moments that I really wanted to but persistence, hard work, and dedication always pay off in the end.


This is just the beginning of my story.  It's actually a very small part of my journey to becoming a flight attendant but I just wanted to share it with you all because I know there are probably some people out there who are currently in my shoes, playing the waiting game!  Don't ever lose hope!

Espwa
xoxo,
Ashley Nicole




3 comments:

  1. 😊❤😙 Love you and so happy for you....And very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley!!! I love the story. Of course I did your life backwards I went to college, left my second semester in my freshman year to become a
    Flight attendant with Mesa airlines (only 6months though as southwest called me
    For an interview and I took it) loved being
    A flight attendant while I was single, met my husband to be and got married 6 months later. We had our first baby a year after and I resigned southwest to go back for my teaching degree and be home with my baby girl! Was Mrs. Los Lunas United States in 2014 and where I first met you before the next pageant the following year! Your a beautiful person inside and out! Always Schafer the stars cause if you fall you will still
    Land on one fo them! ��

    ReplyDelete